Sporadic starts

If that is the case, I know exactly what you trouble is...

My ex wife had a 88 Cabriolet that was an auto, had the same trouble...
Although, thinking about it, it was harder when it was hot...  No matter...

Those starters on those cars suffer from not receiving enough amperage, and
Bosch makes an aftermarket kit to help fix the problem.  You could put it
together yourself, but I lack the specifics to advise you as to how...
Basically, all you are doing is relaying the starter so that more joice goes
directly to the starter instead of back and forth through all that wiring.
The kit is less than 20.00 if you can find it, and it works...  I would look
at that as well, even if you do not think that is all of your trouble.  There
will come a time when it will be a problem, I promise...

HTH
--
Regards,
David Utley