Sporadic starts

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Jon Palm
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 3:53 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Sporadic starts

Battery is strong, connx are all fresh and clean, alternator working
fine.
When I turn the key over there is a slight hesitation before she starts
roll over, or there is no rollover and I get the click-click-click,
sound.
If I pop the hood and give a tap on the coil it will start next try.
However
none of this happens once it's warmed up. Replace the coil? Or could it
be
the ignition control?

Check the insulated spade connector on the wire going to the starter
solenoid.
The insulated connector is back by the firewall, just follow it back
from the starter, this connector is almost always corroded.

I just had to do this repair on "Mars", and that car came from
California.

Disconnect the connector, and work it up by the brake booster, so that
you can work on it.
Cut the corroded connector off, and splice in a new wire with a spade
terminal that fits the starter solenoid. I used a slightly thicker wire
with brown insulation, and a black pvc sleeve.

The only reason for the connector in the middle of the wire from the
ignition, was to make the assembly of the car easier.

Peter
302.832.8989
http://thescirocco.com