The 75 - Orange it is...

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 01:09:13 -0800, T Berk <tberk@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>- Funny that the Rad has an Expansion Tank. Hmmmm.

An expansion tank came with my car.. but not that one.

What I get from browsing pictures of carbed engine compartments is
that there had to be a number of configurations manufactured.  I can
chalk up a lot of them to California vs. non-California cars, I
suppose.  VW was having a hell of a struggle with Cal emissions back
then including multiple cat converter replacements and surging,
stalling Zenith carbs.  It led to the 1976 "Super Scirocco" introduced
in California mid-year with fuel injection.  The 49 state cars stayed
with the carb until 77.

I remember the VW service manager telling me (after my umpteenth visit
for driveability problems) to dump the Zeninth as soon as the warranty
expired - it was a POS that would never work correctly.

The really good news for California based 1975s is that next year, we
fall out of the emissions program entirely!  If the hot rod Chevys,
Mopars, and Fords are any indicator, the desirability of owning the
original Scirocco will increase significantly.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9