  From: Ron Pieper
  To: VWGTIKIM@aol.com ; peter@thescirocco.com ; rocco16v@netzero.net ; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 9:38 AM
  Subject: Re: Header HELP! new longer exh. man studs?

  This may be a twist on this topic (haven't read it all), but WTH.

  I've heard something that seems a bit odd...that switching to longer exhaust manifold studs and
  putting bushings (read: stacks of washers) under the nut to fill up the space is supposed to
  eliminate cracking of the manifold flange.  This is supposed to be a trick used on Saab turbo and
  heavy-duty diesel engines.  I'm supposing that the longer stud expands more, providing more
  'give', and thus preventing cracking.

  Makes me think that a longer stud and a stack of belleville washers may do this just fine, and
  cheap too.  Hmmmm....anybody (Larry) have an opinon on this?

  Ron