Header HELP! new longer exh. man studs?

This may be a twist on this topic (haven't read it all), but WTH.

I've heard something that seems a bit odd...that switching to longer exhaust manifold studs and
putting bushings (read: stacks of washers) under the nut to fill up the space is supposed to
eliminate cracking of the manifold flange.  This is supposed to be a trick used on Saab turbo and
heavy-duty diesel engines.  I'm supposing that the longer stud expands more, providing more
'give', and thus preventing cracking.

Makes me think that a longer stud and a stack of belleville washers may do this just fine, and
cheap too.  Hmmmm....anybody (Larry) have an opinon on this?

Ron