16V WOES ... HELP!!

Carlos Alves wrote:
> Fuel distributor has a lot of carbon buildup. Needs to be cleaned.
> Throttle body has carbon buildup. Needs cleaning.
> O2 Sensor is sending error codes, possibly faulty..
> Spark plug wires need to be replaced.
> Distributor cap and rotor show signs of corrosion.
> And the grand total, $2500 for all of this work, ....

I think by now you have your answers. Transfer fuel pump
sounds right, and the Hall sender is always a suspect with
intermittent problems.  But I'd like to add my two cents:

1) That dealer is a bandit.  $2500 is about 30-40 hours
    of labor (at $75-$60/hour) just to clean a few things.
    The O2 sensor is about $40 for a generic one, and
    1/2 hour tops to replace it.  Spark plug wires, the
    same (or less).  Cap and rotor are cheap and easy
    to replace ($20 and another 1/2 hour, tops). Run
    away from those guys, run as fast as you can.

2) I'd get a can of carb cleaner and spray it into the
    throttle body, while the engine is running if you can.
    It can't hurt, and might help (and might be more
    than the dealership will do to clean it).

3) Drive it to school.  If it always starts after sitting for
    a 1/2 hour or so, it will just take longer to get there.
     (That might also indicate a dying fuel pump that fails
    when it overheats, but comes alive again when cool.)
    Then talk with your 16V guru about what the list
    suggested.

Good luck,
Kent