16V WOES ... HELP!!

Wow ... thanks a lot guys, your appraisal of the situation is
outstanding.

One questin, when I go to pick up my car from teh dealer today, I stil
lhave a good 300 mile trek to go until I reach schoo, when I can then
work on the 'roc.  Is it safe to drive the car that distance? I do
know if the car dies down, I just have to wait for maybe a half hour
or so and the car seems to operate fine afterwards, until the problem
acts up again. What do you guys think?

Any temporary quick fixes for the situation?

THANKS!!