(semi-ot) RE: subzero temps, block heaters, etc

> Fixing
> > my car outdoors is now completely out of the question!
>
> Never say 'out of the question' - sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta
> do...

Very true, though what I was trying to say was that non-critical surgery,
so to speak, was out of the question. If the muffler falls off, it's going
in the trunk, not back on the car. The only tasks I would consider
tackling in that cold would be what is necessary to keep the car moving
and from self-destructing.

I'm definitely throwing together an emergency kit in a small duffle bag
for the trunk, in case I get stuck in a blizzard. Items will include
chains, tow strap, plastic snow shovel, metal 'traction mesh' treads (hey,
they were free.. who knows they might be useful), duct tape, water
bottle(s), nonperishable food, a space blanket, a can of sterno for heat,
kleenex, butane lighter, a flare, flashlight and some trash bags. I have
vice grips, a screwdriver, 3/8" socket set and ratchet, extra fuses,
spare tire and jack already. I also keep 'chaining up gloves' and a spare
wool hat under my seat in case I forget to bring either along. I always
take my cell phone when I drive in snow. The idea is to not get stuck in a
ditch and secondly, to not die if I do get stuck in a ditch during a
white out and can't run the engine to stay warm.

My forward thinking was inspired by a recent event where I was driving in
the snow at night and wound up high-centered with one drive wheel in a
ditch. Fortunately I had my tow strap and a guy was able to pull me out
with his 4wd jeep. Lesson learned: fix reverse lights or get out and look
before going backwards in the snow (the driveway I was backing in to
to turn around was about 6 feet further back). And: carry a tow strap
and other emergency junk. Luckily the rocco was unhurt.

I was trying to think of what I would have done without the guy's
assistance. The car was going nowhere with the body sitting on frozen snow
like that. Maybe I could have aired down the tire or tried to melt the
ice and snow around it with deicer spray.. but I don't think either would
have helped. One of those "come along" things could have pulled me out if
tied to a tree but how practical is it to carry one.

[Mark's horror story snipped]

> Layers.  The more the better.  Jeans over long thermal underwear, and if

Layers, layers, layers

Check.

> it's windy slip on a pair of ski pants over that.  Jeans are pretty good
> though, but if they get wet you'll freeze.  Carhart makes very warm
> 'commercial' grade winter jackets.  A warm toque with Thinsulate is a

Hmm, and where would I find such jackets? A work clothing outlet or
somesuch place?

What's a toque.. a type of hat? I have one of those baclaclava (sp?)
things that burglars wear made out of windproof fleece. It's great and my
head is nice and warm but my eyeballs and surrounding tissue freeze in
the wind. I think I need goggles or something.

The situation is aggrevated by the fact that I'm actually allergic to
cold. I have "cold urticaria" and get nasty skin welts and swelling in the
affected area. It really freaks people out the first time they see me when
I get a reaction. If it affects my chest I start looking like the swamp
man. Supposedly I can even die. I've never let it get that far; I just
warm up ASAP and it goes away.

> must as well - and if it's windy wear your 'jacket hat' as well - the
> one that's zipped up in the collar of most jackets.  Most toques don't
> block the wind well - especially fleece ones.  Gloves aren't as warm as
> mitts.  If you really want warm hands buy a set of snowmobile mitts (the
> huge ones that go half way up your arm)...  You might look like an
> idiot, but at least you'll be a warm idiot!  :)  The one thing I look

Hmm, good idea.

> for in a good winter jacket is one that zips (or snaps) up comfortably
> around your face/chin.  Wear all your layers when you pick out the
> jacket to make sure it fits with all that clothing underneath.  You
> might sweat your balls off in the store, but nothing's more frustrating
> that not being able to close up your jacket on your face when it's windy
> and cold.  If it's too tight you'll feel like you're being choked.
>
> Hmmmm what else.  I take it for granted what is needed to stay warm
> since I've always lived in a cold winter climate.  One thing I've

I grew up in a 40-50 degree wet, rainy climate.. so I take rain clothing
for granted! When people go outside in a sweatshirt or some other rain
sponge I always subconsciously think they're an idiot because I'm used to
the weather being rainy 9 times out of 10. Then I remember that I'm not in
Seattle anymore.

> observed - when it's starting to get cold in late fall you may be
> shivering, thinking 'damn, it's cold', but in the spring when the
> temperature is getting warmer again, but the same as back in the fall,
> you'll be out in a T-shirt saying how warm it is!  :)

I am familiar with that effect already. I was sweating like a banshee when
I returned to Seattle from being in frigid weather. At the family xmas I
was drenched in sweat from head to toe and had to keep going outside to
keep my shirt from sticking to my back. Within a day or two I got used to
it again and now I'm actually a little chilly. Eighty degrees colder is
going to be a shock, that's for sure.

> > Note that I don't drive my car every day; I use it primarily to buy
> food
> > and run occasional errands. But I want it to be somewhat reliable.. I
> > have electric heat so if I lose power in my apt it's my only source of
> > heat. It's important that I can drive away within a couple of minutes
> > without monkeying around too much (I don't want to be pulling the
> battery
> > and heating it up inside or any crap like that).
>
> That shouldn't be necessary.  But, if you want some insurance buy a deep
> cycle marine battery (usually has a handle) and keep it in your apt.
> Use it with some booster cables if you ever need a boost.  Quick and
> simple.

Hmm, that's actually a damn good idea! I could just throw it on a trickle
charger now and then. I think my friend even has a good battery he's
trying to get rid of after dismantling his broken car. A battery box is
probably in order tho.. in case it spills a little acid or something.

> > What problems should I expect at these temps? Should I get a block
> > heater? I found a place that sells the freeze plug style block heaters
> > for 4-cyl vws for $14. Seems like it would be a pain to get at the
> freeze
> > plugs with the motor in the car, though. I should have put one in when
> > did my 2.0 16v swap; if only I knew..
>
> Block heaters are a good idea.  They're not hard to install.  The freeze
> plugs aren't too difficult to access from under the car.  I haven't
> installed one on a 16v though...

16v should be about the same as 8v.. have you put one in an 8v? How long
did it take you? Is there a tool for pulling vw freeze plugs? How does the
new heater 'plug' fit in since there's not much room for hammering with
the engine installed in the car?

Also I'm a bit confused over this whole block heater thing. Apparently
some folks leave them running 24/7? There's no way I can do that since I
don't even have an outlet outside (it would have to be run via an
extension cord snaked out my apt window or door). I was thinking a block
heater might help things warm up a little in order to enable the engine
to start at low low temps. So.. I'd maybe let it warm the block for maybe
20 minutes on really cold days before starting. Am I misunderstanding the
usage/purpose of these things?

> Good luck!

Hey, thanks for the good advice! I know a lot of folks have 'been there'
when it comes to this frigid weather (which is a relatively new thing for
me); it makes sense to learn from their experiences.

-Toby