subzero temps, block heaters, etc

Fixing
> my car outdoors is now completely out of the question!

Never say 'out of the question' - sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta
do...
I once had a bitch of a time swapping out my entire fuel injection
system one winter when I lived farther north in -35C temperatures.  I
crashed my snowmobile, so I had no choice but to get my dead car going
for the 50 km commute to school.  I have a nice warm home shop now in a
slightly warmer climate, but I need to hire a flatbed to get cars in and
out though, so I still have to do little repairs outside.  :(  I have to
redo the birds nest of headlight wiring tomorrow and trace down why only
one brake light works.

> I usually take the bus every day for my 'commute' but the bus stop is
> about a 10 minute walk from my apartment. I thought I was cold before
> when it was 20 degrees and windy. I have a feeling its gonna be a lot
> worse now! Any 'staying warm' suggestions would be appreciated.. I
bought
> new gloves and am shopping for a warmer jacket.

Layers.  The more the better.  Jeans over long thermal underwear, and if
it's windy slip on a pair of ski pants over that.  Jeans are pretty good
though, but if they get wet you'll freeze.  Carhart makes very warm
'commercial' grade winter jackets.  A warm toque with Thinsulate is a
must as well - and if it's windy wear your 'jacket hat' as well - the
one that's zipped up in the collar of most jackets.  Most toques don't
block the wind well - especially fleece ones.  Gloves aren't as warm as
mitts.  If you really want warm hands buy a set of snowmobile mitts (the
huge ones that go half way up your arm)...  You might look like an
idiot, but at least you'll be a warm idiot!  :)  The one thing I look
for in a good winter jacket is one that zips (or snaps) up comfortably
around your face/chin.  Wear all your layers when you pick out the
jacket to make sure it fits with all that clothing underneath.  You
might sweat your balls off in the store, but nothing's more frustrating
that not being able to close up your jacket on your face when it's windy
and cold.  If it's too tight you'll feel like you're being choked.

Hmmmm what else.  I take it for granted what is needed to stay warm
since I've always lived in a cold winter climate.  One thing I've
observed - when it's starting to get cold in late fall you may be
shivering, thinking 'damn, it's cold', but in the spring when the
temperature is getting warmer again, but the same as back in the fall,
you'll be out in a T-shirt saying how warm it is!  :)

> Anyway, the main problems I've had with my car so far due to the cold
> temps have been related to getting the motor started. I replaced the
> battery and in the just-below-freezing temps where I currently am the
> electrical system seems a lot healthier -- maybe that was the whole
> problem, I hope so. But I'm starting to wonder what else goes wrong
when
> things get this cold. I'm running 10w30 dino oil; which I think is
good
> down to -20 or -30 F. My antifreeze mix is about 50/50.

Sounds good.

> Note that I don't drive my car every day; I use it primarily to buy
food
> and run occasional errands. But I want it to be somewhat reliable.. I
> have electric heat so if I lose power in my apt it's my only source of
> heat. It's important that I can drive away within a couple of minutes
> without monkeying around too much (I don't want to be pulling the
battery
> and heating it up inside or any crap like that).

That shouldn't be necessary.  But, if you want some insurance buy a deep
cycle marine battery (usually has a handle) and keep it in your apt.
Use it with some booster cables if you ever need a boost.  Quick and
simple.

> What problems should I expect at these temps? Should I get a block
> heater? I found a place that sells the freeze plug style block heaters
> for 4-cyl vws for $14. Seems like it would be a pain to get at the
freeze
> plugs with the motor in the car, though. I should have put one in when
> did my 2.0 16v swap; if only I knew..

Block heaters are a good idea.  They're not hard to install.  The freeze
plugs aren't too difficult to access from under the car.  I haven't
installed one on a 16v though...

Good luck!

Mark.
80 S