CV Joints / Cap / Rotor

At 01:11 PM 2/29/04 -0500, Carlos Alves wrote:

>Hey All,
>
>I posted a question about 2 weeks ago about replacing CV Joints, and I
>dont think we ever agreed on a response.  On the 16v models, is it
>possible to remove and replace the CV Joint wihtout having to take off
>the drive axle? My left CV Joint is gone and needs desperate
>replacement, and as I was replacing my rotors and pads this weekend it
>definetley looked as if this was possible, but I didn't have the time
>to experiment. Also, is replacing the CV joint a farily easy job, or is
>it one best left to professionals?

Don't know about replacing just the joint with everything else in place.  Now
I know if you take the bolt out of the ball joint and swing that whole assembly
out of the way you should be able to pull the CV joint off the axle.  But
at $90-
$110 or so for remans, you might want to look into swapping out the whole axle
(inc. lifetime warranty).  It's a fairly easy job if you are somewhat
mechanically
inclined.

>Also, I need to buy the BOSCH distributor cap and rotor for my 16v, but
>I cant find the Bosch parts anywhere around where I live ... anyone
>know a place that stocks them??
Don't know where you live.  Try on the internet if there aren't any
suppliers near
you.  Try Potterman   http://www.parts4vws.com/

Good luck,

John