16v barely running,anyone got some advise?MORE ON THISSUBJECT...

The coil is the device that generates the high voltages required to create a
spark. It is a simple device -- essentially a high-voltage transformer made
up of two coils of wire.

One coil of wire is called the primary coil. Wrapped around it is the
secondary coil. The secondary coil normally has hundreds of times more turns
of wire than the primary coil.

Current flows from the battery through the primary winding of the coil. The
primary coil's current can be suddenly disrupted by the breaker points, or
by a solid-state device in an electronic ignition.

If you think the coil looks like an electromagnet, you're right -- but it is
also an inductor. The key to the coil's operation is what happens when the
circuit is suddenly broken by the points.

The magnetic field of the primary coil collapses rapidly. The secondary coil
is engulfed by a powerful and changing magnetic field. This field induces a
current in the coils -- a very high-voltage current (up to 100,000 volts)
because of the number of coils in the secondary winding. The secondary coil
feeds this voltage to the distributor via a very well insulated,
high-voltage wire.

The older the coil gets, a few things can happen, in some cases the coil
wire will display a higher ohmns reading when tested, this indicates a coil
wire that has reached its resistance limit and little or no flow of electron
is moving from primary to seconday coil wires, now in your case was the low
ohmns reading on the primary or secondary coil wire?

ATS - Patrick Bureau -  85 2L, 102.5 whp, 121 ft/lbs torque
Email : ats@longcoeur.com - Web site : http://ats.longcoeur.com
AIM: texasscirocco - Yahoo: atsgtx - ICQ: 32918816 - MSN: atsgtx@hotmail.com
1975, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81S, 82 and 86 scirocco's coming soon!