The 75 FINALLY comes home, and in style...

...pulled by my 81 S on a Uhaul car dolly!  The 2.0 ABA/JH made the 700
mile round trip without a problem, and had more than enough torque to
make the trip a breeze, even at 70 - 75 mph...  I was really surprised
how hard the car would accelerate lugging around double it's own weight
and then some.  I welded up a farcically beefy hitch that bolts in place
of the bumper.  Braking was pretty good (Mintex pads w/vented rotors),
but an electric brake is definitely going to be in the plans for my
homebuilt tow dolly.  As a nice bonus, the roads were dry, so no salt
spray got on the car.

As for the 75, all I can say is WOW, did I ever get a great deal on it!
The car is more solid than the pictures made it out to be.  Areas that
looked a bit rusty in the pics turned out to be dirt.  Here's the info
on it:

- 86,000 original miles
- one owner car
- meticulously cared for and repaired
- driven for 5 years and then stored in a shop for the last 24 years!
(it was only put outside in December (covered) when the owner needed the
space in his shop, which led him to decide to sell the car)
- all window seals are PERFECT!  (no shrinking at all)
- underside is mint, no rust or holes
- all wheelarches are perfect, just surface rust removed and then primed
- surface rust around bottom of car repaired and primed (minimal work
was needed)
- Here's what came with it:
  - completely rebuilt 1.5 litre w/ 0 miles on it since rebuild
  - new never used Weber carb
  - newly reupholstered seats
  - original Zender "S" airdam
  - original Kamei airdam (don't know which one it is)
  - Brand new Mk1 sheet metal! (uninstalled):
     - rockers
     - inner and outer door skins (bottoms)
     - rear valance
  - 8x 13" alloy VW wheels (ugly, forget what they're called)
  - new headlight buckets, and a bunch of other new parts in boxes

All this for only $500!!!

What it needs:
- a new hood (the factory put foam in the front recesses and that area
is less than perfect - probably could be repaired, but I'm looking for a
replacement.
- the bottoms of the doors need to be repaired.  Not sure if I'm going
to use the door skins that came with the car or source some better
condition doors.  But the doors could also be sandblasted and repaired
too...

Anson, YOU DA MAN!!!  Thanks for posting about this car!  Also, thanks
go out to Eric S for contacting the seller and hosting pics.  I
appreciate it guys, beer is definitely on me at Cincy this year.  :)

And to wrap up this long-winded message, if you ever get the chance to
tow a Scirocco behind another Scirocco, DO IT!  It's one of the coolest
experiences I've ever had.  As people passed by I got a lot of smiles
and pointing (I could see some of the people saying "Scirocco"), even a
couple of thumbs-up from VW drivers.  I took a pic when I got back home,
but it was a bit dark out and it didn't turn out to well.  I'll post it
after I take a bunch of pics of the car when I get it into my shop
(sometime in the next couple weeks).

Mark.
75   - future MINT example of an early Mk1
80 S - future dedicated race/autocross car
81 S  2.0 ABA/JH/4K - winter beater/track car/and tow vehicle!

---