Wraping downpipe manifold

  It does help in keeping the exhaust temp high, which allows the exhaust
gasses to pass through the exhaust at higher speeds (the smaller the
difference of temperature between the gasses and the pipes keeps up the
speed), but it also increases the wear on the pipes...  They tend to break
down, and eventually rot away from the higher temperatures...  If you are
looking at keeping things cooler/faster, I would recommend ceramic powder
coating the downpipe...  You get the same benefits without the wear then...

HTH,
--
Regards,
David Utley