350hp with 8vTransmission? 02A/02J longevity?

Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: 350hp with 8vTransmission? 02A/02J longevity?

> Questions within...
> --
> Regards,
> David Utley
> -----------
> Cable Volkswagen
> 405-470-3129
> 1-800-522-6793
>

> > Also, if anybody cares, the 02J (and presumably the 02A) is way stronger. The
> > gear center to center
> > distance is bigger which reduces tooth loading, the gears are all wider, the
> > gear splines are huge
> > compared to the 020, the engagement sleeves are much stronger and best of
> > all, first and second
> > gears have really cool triple cone synchros ;^)
> > Dan
> >

> I was told by German Transaxle in OR, that the 2nd gear synchros on the 02A
> and 02J are especially weak...

Well, the engagement teeth on 2nd gear were a little beat up on this tranny. I assumed it was abuse
since the clutch was also toast.

>They mentioned that this is the same design
> that Porsches had (I am assuming past tense), and that they are more expensive
> to replace if, and when they wear...

I'm pretty sure they would cost more simply because there are three pieces and they have more
extensive machining. Interestingly, despite the obvious wear on the engagement teeth, the synchos
still measured just about like new parts.

> I am curious what your take on this
> design is, as I plan to have an 020 in each of my A1s.  Eventually I hope to
> have about 225-250 hp on one of those, and if you have a different take on it,
> I might do well to ask you...  ;-)

My personal car is going to get an 020 and I hope to be in the same power range as you, so we'll see
how the 020 can handle that.
The 02J is going to be mated to an AWP, the engine it originally came with, but it will be
interesting to drive it and see what I think about the synchros. There's no question the rest of the
tranny looks a hell of a lot beefier. I hope it's not just appearance.
Dan