1.8T in a Mk1 Scirocco now vs 16v-t

For the cost, you might also consider turboing a 16v.
Lots of power availble and its an eaiser lest costly
swap.
The worst part about it is finding good fuel
management.  Bolting the motor in is a cinch making
the pipes is pretty straight foward if you can weld.
I am sure Bradley will chime in an comment.  I know I
made 240 whp (12psi) off a 170K mile 1.8L...  Bradley
had good luck also.  I am sure there are others with
good reuslts too.  Alas I sold my turbo rocco to
support other toys.  I kind of miss it now.

Tony