Raceware and Diesel (was: Tightening headbolts...)

I had the compression gas problem (with the car, not me physically). Hopefully I won't have to post about a gasket failure anytime soon. I have a 1.6 turbo diesel as well (92 Jetta EcoDiesel).

Drew MacPherson <drew@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:

I've used the bolts on 2 1.6NA and 2 1.6TD engines. Typically the
failures have been compression gasses leaking into the coolant jacket and
oil/coolant leaking externally. Time to failure varied from instantaneous
to 8,000 km (5000 miles) I talked with Raceware about the problem, and
after going through the usual prattle (did you use quality head gaskets?
did you follow the instruction procedures? Did you use a calibrated
torque wrench? etc.) I came to the conclusion that the bolts were fubar,
to which Raceware replied "unlikely, but we will repalce them if you like"
I indicated I would like to replace them, but never heard back from them.
Subsequently the bolts still sit on the shelf, and probably will until I
decide to hawk them on e-bay or something... :)

The one other person I've talked to that was using racewares on a
diesel had a gasket failure with them and ended up going back to
stretch bolts.

I'm running 13-14 psi on my 1.6TD and the current gasket is holding up
well (damned intercooler end tank seals are leaking though.) My next head
gasket is going to be with the MLS 1.9 head gasket - which does not
require a retorque like the fibre 1.6 gasket does.

Drew

--
| 84 Wolfsburg Edition TurboDiesel Scirocco |