fixing dash cracks...?

1st off........I'm the other guy.

I'm not sure that Rhett is as into this as he once was but I still am
interested in doing it @ least for the learning experience it will be.

I've never worked w/ fiberglass so that will be where the learning curve
is. The ideal was to make a mold of the dash and then use the mold to make
the actual replacements so they would be the correct size. things that are
still "up in the air" are how thick the replacement dash should be, what
type of structural supports will be necessary, and if there would be
interest in "custom" dashes for things like turbo inst. cluster area, etc.

I'd like to produce a quality product and so cannot promise the time frame
or price (I think $25 was a little cheap for the labor involved  ;^} ),
but most ppl interested in this type of mod would be willing to pay a bit
more for a quality product, eh?

Structural support will be a major concern as we all know fiber likes to
"rip" and leave the most unpleasant looking surface after that. I'd also
like to put something behind the fiber so , if used as an actual dash
replacement, I would have a solid sound when "thunked" and would also not
be a sound amplifier when used. Expando foam (insulation type) is a
candidate for this application  ATM but needs to be feild tested to see if
it will have the durability and desired effects while being controlable.

I would like to ask for other areas of concern listers might think needs
to be addressed for this project as umpteen heads and differing points of
view  will always be better than one and could cut the amount of
prototypes considerably!

So...in a nutshell...it's still a project but was waiting for me to get
laid off (if I don't find another suitable job in the meantime) to tackle
it w/ the frevor it deserves, but is not abandoned!

Tonight I will be taking the spare dash into the basement and restoring it
to it's former uncrackedness to use as the form and study for points of
weakness, etc.

Thank you for the turkey fork in the rear to get me hopping on this again!

Tim

One man's constant is another man's variable.
		-- A.J. Perlis