Raceware and Diesel (was: Tightening headbolts...)

This is my 1st time with the raceware fasteners. So far, so good, but time will tell if they hold their torque. I will be very upset if I have to change that diesel gasket again, especially after the cost of those bolts! What kind of leaks did your previous engine develop?

Drew MacPherson <drew@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:
Yes, reacewares are not torque angle, so the torque specs are very
different than stock stretch bolts. Is this your first run with the
racewares on your diesel? I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the set of
racewares I purchased 8 or 9 years ago now - I've used them on 4 different
engines (the last one I was foolish enough to try twice) and keep
reverting back to stock stretch bolts for a reliable seal.

Drew

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, chris gonzalez wrote:

> Ah, yes I was using raceware studs/fasteners on my diesel. Make sure you
> chase the threads and blow out the bolt holes, or your torque readings
> will be different for each bolt. Oh, and raceware themselves recommend
> using the beam type torque wrench vs. click or dial torque wrenches.
> They went as far as to say they recommend NOT using click or dial
> wrenches.

| 84 Wolfsburg Edition TurboDiesel Scirocco |
| http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd |