My steering wheel grew...

Jacob Hawes wrote:
> mold.
> It has been over a month since I touched the rocco (I need to sell my
> current dd before I can insure it). I went outside today to start the
> engine and rev it a little so that it will actually start when I do
> insure it. I open the door and the steering wheel has white/green
> growths on it. It isn't a full sheet of mold but give it another month
> and it probably will be.
>
> So basicly how do I get rid of it and be able to use the current
> steering wheel?

What you will need is a multi step process.

- 1st is a fungicide type disinfectant. You want to kill not only the
growth but the seeds/spores.

- Second you need to get the nasty cleaner out. This will likely be very
wet so you'll want to provide a quilt or lots of towels. (Alt you could
pull the wheel off and clean it immersion style.)

- After you have thoroughly cleaned and rinsed you are going to want to
add back in some stuff that you just cleaned out. What it is depends on
whether it's the vinyl or leather covered wheel.

in the case of vinyl I like Klasse, (be sure to avoids silicon type
products like Armour All like the plague).

In the case of leather you need to check with a concourse or a horse
tack shop for how to add nutrients back into the hide.

If you miss this last step you will end up with a cracked steering wheel
in due course.

hth,
TBerk