Any Ideas for rebuilding stock seatbelts?

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Brian McGarvey
Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2004 10:28 AM
To: volkswagen scirocco
Subject: Any Ideas for rebuilding stock seatbelts?

Now think about this if your racing the oldest your seatbelts can be
is 5yro IIRC. But most of us are running around with 20 or 30yro
belts. and if you own a scirocco or other A1. the drivers  side belt
is probably trashed from being locked in the door ( Except Jan's &
Gordon's of course). So with the new baby on the way, I want to re-do
the seatbelts in the bunny. Im wondering what my choices are.. for
re-webbing them or compeltely replacing them with new.

I'll also be documenting how I put LATCH points into the bunny. (For car
seats)

BigMac
New Dad To be...
A bit safety minded. I can alway replace a car, I cant replace my family...

Several folks have told me that you can increase the strength of the return
spring on the belt...  Look here....

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/seatbelt/

Not vw specific, but I am told it works under the same principle.  Belts are
pretty simple, so I doubt that it will not work.  As for actually rebuilding
them, I don't think there are any parts available for them.  The liabilities
are too high.  However, you might consider upgrading to Later Cabriolet
belts over the American made rabbit ones.  Apparently there were a few TSBs
on them, but I cannot find them at this moment...  Somehing about releasing
when the car is hit from the side, I am not sure of the details, or the fix.

I hope this helps...

David