David Marshall's pages

> From: GGehrke <ggehrke@gmail.com>
> Date: 2004/12/22 Wed PM 10:14:58 EST
> To: Scirocco list <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: Re: David Marshall's pages
>

> http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/298
>
> This was a pretty common trick over at 2600 magazine a few years back.
>  they were buying domains like fordsucks.com and within days ford was
> demanding they turn it over and filing suits and such.  (didn't help
> that fordsucks.com redirected to generalmotors.com)  They did
> GMSucks.com as well.  Once Ford and GM had both demanded the sites be
> turned over simply because they had their company's name in them, 2600
> tried registering FordAndGMsuck.com to see who would try to get it and
> how it would play out in court.  I don't remember how it worked out,
> but messing with big companies like that has got to be fun.  They did
> register VerizonReallySucks.com and verizon decided not to demand it
> be turned over because the laws on cybersquatting only apply to people
> who register domains with the intent of selling them for profit, which
> clearly did not apply (that's what the article above is about).  Kinda
> interesting stuff, IMO.
>
> -Grant-

Interesting article.  The last sentence says it all in that case.  Returning to David's situation, I thought .orgs were for non-profit organizations, is that not true?  Last I knew, VW was in it for profit even if it was a negative this year...

David

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson