accident update, paint questions

> From: "T. Reed" <treed2@wsu.edu>
> Date: 2004/12/21 Tue PM 03:39:41 EST

> A rep called and said he needs to take a statement from me, and that "if
> you desire to have us inspect the car", he needs its daytime address and a
> phone number.
>
> "If"? That sounds optional. I'm not sure what to do here. If I don't have
> them inspect it, he may simply offer a puny settlement. If they do
> inspect it, they will either total the car or offer me a puny settlement,
> or both. Part of me thinks that if I don't have them come, they might give
> me the money they would have paid their insurance goon to come look at it,
> but the other part of me thinks that's ridiculous and acknowledges that
> they are greedy scum-sucking bastards who don't want to give me a dime.

I don't see that you have anything to lose by them looking.  You may want to have a private estimator look at the car to estimate the damage to help your situation.  Luckily I have never had to do this, but I would imagine this would be a good step.

> The damage really isn't -that- bad, I'd like to think they won't total
> it.

The thing to look for to help demonstrate your cars' value is to search for similarly prepared, aged, and state of repair.  This may be hard to do, but I would suggest to keep your search as close to home as possible.  Therefore they cannot throw the BS reply that that is not the value 'in your area'.  In WA., I think you are better off than you would be here in 'VW wasteland'....

> It seems to me that the shop can just cut a core support "tray" out of a
> junkyard car, strip it, prime it and paint it and weld it in place.

More than likely they will do the whole core support.  And hopefully there isn't anymore structural damage than that...

> I've heard that I should also wash + vacuum if the guy is coming over.
> Sounds like a good idea but I need to be careful not to damage the crash
> area further (the paint in that area is peeling off like skin on a bad
> sunburn)

I agree, it would be a good thing to clean it.  Not only will his estimation rise a bit, but he will see that you are serious, and that you love your car.  A win-win situation. I can't imagine that the paint peeling will hurt anything unless you are not going to repair it and are worried about rust.

> I searched the net and couldn't find any specific advice against taking a
> freshly painted car (or just "hood") to a very cold place, but common
> sense tells me that if it's not fully cured, the evaporation of the
> volatiles in the paint will be on "hold" until it returns to a warmer
> climate. Also, any moisture in the paint could freeze and expand,
> introducing small imperfections in the paint job.

I agree on the reasoning of cold to paint, but I can't say that I have seen any evidence, or heard of anything that directly supports it.  I think you might want to ask this in the P&B forum on Vortex and see what the general concensus might be.  Better yet, contact a body shop you trust and ask (I assume that you don't know anyone, but you might know someone who does).  As for the comment about moisture, there will be -none- in the paint at all if it is a good job.  If it is not, then you will have problems regardless.  Water in the paint causes flaws, I can't remember what they look like.  I know oil/grease causes fish eyes, and I am rambling...  :-(

Unfortunately I don't have any other advice to offer.  However, I will bet that there are others who will.

Don't sweat it man, it's too friggin' cold...  :-)

Cheers,
  David

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson