Drum brakes vs. winter question

I figured the cable was the most likely candidate, and it seems to have
freed up. I know that's not going to be a permanent condition (and what's
the point of winter if you can't put the car sideways with the E brake?)
so I've ordered a cable. It'll go in whenever it either gets warmer, or I
feel like freezing my buns off.

Cathy