Help! Jetta 2 problems-not scirocco

Hey my 91 Jetta 8v has started doing something weird, it is incredibly cold
here in Michigan lately and I found my engine temp gauge heads back to cold
when I am on the highway, the faster I go the colder it gets until it pegs out
(no reading) then the engine starts to loss power, it feels like its running out
of fuel. When I slow it down to 55/60 the gauge starts to budge again and the
power comes back.  The heat seems to work fine regardless.  Is there a bad
temp switch fooling my dinasaur ECU?  Or maybe I have two seperate problems that
seem to coincide? Please help, This is a primary car for us! Thanks in
advance, Michael