From: Mike Smith <smithma7@gmail.com>
To: car <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 02:08:49 -0500
Subject: I DO NOT CONDONE THIS BEHAVIOR... (longish)

.. But damn it felt good...

Preface:  been married with children for 1.5 years.  Have had enough
tickets (not me, but the "fam" in total) to where the insurance
company says if "we" get another they'll drop us.  I live in rural
Maryland.  Average speed limit on the 2 lane roads is 50.

Now:  Just got home.  The road we were on was a 55.  Came up behind a
car carrier.  Never liked following these regardless of the fact that
I've never seen one, in real life or on tv, have a problem.  Reached a
point where I could pass without having to cross the yellows.  Doing
55+ in 5th.  About 200 yards before the known (to me) passing area, I
drop into 4th.  At the point of entering the passing area I realize
that 4th just isn't enough "get-go" so I drop further into 3rd and
PUNCH IT.

Side note:  This car is my DD.  Those who drove with me to Cincy last
year might remember that I was usually in the back of the pack trying
my hardest just to keep up (until we all got pulled over in Ohio :P
).  I love it but I try not to abuse it (as I have no other car to
fall back upon) and/or let it's abilities abuse my driving record.  ;)

Back to now:  I downshift into 3rd and PUNCH IT.  GODDAMN!!!!  It felt
so good to do that and pass the truck and in 10 seconds or less have
him 100+ yards behind me.  I never saw him again.  Once I was past him
I never went over 60+.  But, DAMN!, it was nice to just put him behind
me and NOT SEE HIM AGAIN!

I know that this story doesn't hold a candle to Julie's story of
dusting muscle cars (or anyone else's story of having great power with
these cars) mine's a stock 16v (and not even running as great as it
should).  But as I said, IT FELT SO &#^*@&^$ing NICE to do that.  2
minutes later I realized that I needed some time on a 65+ freeway with
no cops around.  Not now.  But soon....

35 minutes later and still feeling that rush...  he was just gone...

Can't wait till I win the lottery or get my big time computer gig to
pay for what I want done so I can blow the doors off others (legally,
of course... track times :)...

--
Mike
'86 red 16v (Red 5)