[SPAM] Tranny Selection

> From: "Bryan Rankin" <d_x20@hotmail.com>
> Date: 2004/12/07 Tue AM 11:17:30 EST
> To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> Subject:  Tranny Selection

>    Right now I'm thinking about a 2h, which is just like the 2y, but I think
> it is the 8 valve version, it was found in the 83 gti's(I was supposed to
> buy an 83 gti, but he sold it the day before I left town to buy it).  I'd
> like to take the .71 out of my FF and use it in whatever transaxle I get.

Bryan,
  Everything sounds good to me, except for one small warning I should share with you.  I have the 2H in my car, and it works fine (except for the self-machining that I think is going on).  However, either all the 2H or a great many of them had smaller seals at the drive flanges.  I always interpreted this as a fault in the design, I think this is the only tranny with that flaw.  Because of the difference in the seal size, the drive flanges are also different.  Perhaps Ron (ol' cheapass) knows if this can be modified to accept the later flanges, or whether or not there is really some reliability issues with it.

Speaking of that, I really should change those seals.  That may exlain why I am having self-machining issues...  :-(

David

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson