[SPAM] Tranny Selection

Not the same - 2H final drive is 3.89 vs. 3.67 for the 2Y.  Also the 2H
can't be converted to accept Peloquin shim/spring kit.

I thought the 2H was 3.94:1 and the FK was 3.89...

http://scirocco.org/gears/

The 2H uses thinner seals, but the shims will work.
40% is easier, because you would have to machine the case to accept 100mm
CV's, which are required for the 80% kit.

Peter

> - Final Drive.
>   I'm not too sure, I've messed around with the gear chart and the
speed/rpm
> calculator, and I think i'd like a 4.25 final drive.  It'll hurt the rpms
> little bit on the highway's, but I think it'd be worth it.

IMO 1st gear will be useless, as it is on my MkI/2.0L 16V and 3.89 f/d
4-speed.  I can punch it at
nearly any speed in first and break the tires loose, and that's *with* a
Quaife.  I'd go 3.94 or
3.67.

> - HP/Torque range (not absolute numbers, but the _range_.)
>
> I'm hoping for somewhere around 110-115HP and 130ish lb-ft.

Then go 3.67 with a medium/close gearset.

> - Money.
>
>    Money isn't a huge issue...

...but it never helps to piss it away!

> - Intended Use(s).
>
>   Car will be a summertime daily driver as well as autocross car.
>
> Is a 2Y with a .71 5th what work with what I want?

The 2Y part, yeah probably.  For 5th, I'd go no stiffer than a 0.80.  IMO
.71 is just tooo stiff
and a way big jump from 4th.

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor Jr." - '81 Scirocco S 7SM
2.0L 16V w/ Megasquirt, Quaifed GL 4-speed
It's Alive!!!