reverse issue with an 8v tranny--Grind prevention

Since I'm only 17 and have no experience driving vehicles older than
1980 I am curious. Does double clutching only apply when moving from a
standstill? Because if so then I automatically do that just to make sure
I am going into first. When I first put the new tranny in I had problems
with it and thought I was getting into first but was actually in third.