reverse issue with an 8v tranny--Grind prevention

first off, congrats that you have driven a car older
than 1998.  somehow, most young people these days are
driving cars nicer than anything i ever drove...
double-clutching, as i understand it, in german
'zwischengas', litterally meaning 'revving in
between', was used in old, really old, vehicles before
the advent of synchronisers.  back in the old days,
gears always ground, but double-clutching would alloy
the driver to lesson that to some extent.  this is per
my maternal grandfather: erich israel, 1913 - 2000.
as he did it, while down-shifting, he would let the
clutch out with the trans in neutral, and then depress
the clutch all the way and engage the lower gear.  it
probably did nothing in the 76 bright yellow scirocco
or the blue mazda 323 he bought with cash in 1984..
the first in our family to not buy a german car.  but
old habits are hard to break, i guess.  if someone can
expand on that, please do, i have never met anyone who
knew about it except my grandpa.