From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Eric S
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:33 PM
To: Kyscirocco@aol.com
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Camshaft ID help ( now vintage performance)

The 1.7 is one of the least regarded of the 8v engines ever
produced...complete lack of peppyness and rather unresponsive to mods.
The 1.5s and 1.6s seemed so rev happy, and very enjoyable to drive.
You'll find ALOT more choices available to you in perfomance bottom ends
and things as well in the 1.6 crowd, cause of the ITC racers (and you
won't find hardcore ITC racers with 1.7s, even though they could use them,
they "downgrade" to the 1.6).

Probably best explained by the motors strokes: both were 79.5 bore, but
the 1.6 was a 80 stroke and the 1.7 an 86.4.  Longer stroke = less piston
velocity and a more torquey, less rev happy motor.

--
Eric
www.vintagewatercooleds.com

"I was run off of the scirocco list..." -Dave Ewing
"Isn't it enough that you were part of my decision to leave the scirocco
list, do you have to haunt me here as well?" -Dave Ewing