Headlight relays and less noise

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 9:48:18 -0400, David Utley <fahrvegnugen@cox.net>
wrote:

>> Headlight relays.  Haven't sprung for the euro lights yet, but I
>> upgraded the power to my halogen sealbeams some.  I was also able to
>> add a daytime flash-to-pass using the stock stalk switch, which was
>> not stock on my 75. http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/relay.jpg
>
>Looks like you did a very nice job on the mounting of those relays.  I should be that dedicated!

I happened to have some aluminum angle that worked out well and some
handy mounting holes left over from the old test connector mount.  I
also used the modular sockets (which you can't see) so replacing a
relay is easy.

>If I may, I might make one small suggestion though.  I saw a few butt connectors used on the wiring.  If I were you, I would solder those connections instead, esp. since they are underhood.  Butt connectors are a good spot for water to stay...  Nothing earth-shattering, just a small suggestion I have found helpful, hopefully you agree...  :-)

If my first job after military service wasn't with AMP, I might have
done that.  I used to demo and sell all sorts of crimp connectors,
including those butt splices.  If you have the proper crimp tool, the
right size splice, strip the wires correctly, and apply both the wire
and the insulation crimp well, they are as reliable a connection as
you can make.

(Having said that, when I've gotten into the electrical of the
Mercedes, all of the connections are soldered, of course!)

I may wrap the harness at some point for looks and to keep any stray
moisture out but I'm still thinking about another relay or two so I
may be needing to add a few more wires.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9