(OT still VW) those damdable spring clamps

Hello all;

So here I am comming out of lurk mode, I have a question to ponder the
list... doing the clutch on my 92 Jetta, the "C" clamps the hold the exhaust
downpipe to the manifold, they pop off easy enough with a pry bar, and on
past projects I have been able to borrow the "special" tool to put them back
on...which is not the case now... have any of you all found a good shadetree
wrenching shortcut to get the clamps back on? there must be a better way
than buying the $130.00 tool.. any Advice?
TIA,
Elijah
86 Scirocco 16v
92 Jetta carot