From: Dan Smith <sad_rocc@yahoo.com>
Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2004 6:03 pm
Subject: Re: Re: 16v: how do i keep oil from
flooding the distributor?

> Wouldn't rust be a factor with the impeller
blades? And weight?
> Plastic can take a lot of heat and I would think
stainless steel
> would be the only other option in that area, which
is considerably
> heavier (and more expensive).
>
> As for all the problems you listed, it was kind of
amusing as my
> girlfriends 00 jetta has had almost all of them.
>
> O2 sensor failure x5
> recall on window regulator
> MAF replaced
> Engine temp sender seemingly useless (car once
overheated even
> though gauge never moved from halfway)
> light bulbs (various shorts in brake lights/rear
parking lights)

> Other problems (common?):
> antennae short
> driver mirror defroster never has worked
> camshaft sensor bugs out now and then
> CD player gets hot and skips after playing a CD or 2
> about 6 other error codes VAGCOM spit at me which
I forgot

> Dan
>
> David Utley <fahrvegnugen@cox.net> wrote:
>
> Okay. Every factory water pump I have seen has a
plastic impeller.
> As far as I can figure, there are only two reasons
why you would
> do this, and they are inter-related. One is cost,
the other is
> cost. These two factors together, greatly affect
longevity. We are
> presently seeing 1.8T water pumps fail, often. The
2.0 was a more
> common problem until recently. The 1.8Ts seem to
fail because of
> the shape of the impeller, there are forces that
want to pull it
> off the shaft. But back to the point- why in the
hell would you
> put plastic in a high heat area? You KNOW it would
HAVE to fail at
> a higher rate than the steel impellers. BTW, the
factory
> manufacturers make steel impellers, but those are
aftermarket
> (WTF?)...
>
> You ever heard of planned-obsolesence? It breaks,
buy a part to
> fix it, or buy another car... VW has a crappy
reputation right
> now, because they build certain key parts (window
regulators, mass
> air flow sensors, engine temperature senders,
light bulb sockets,
> door lock actuators, water outlets, and New Beetle
radios) that do