12 Point triple-square drive bit for axle flange

Heat the head of the bolt with a propane torch till nice and hot. This
causes the bolt to expand with in the thread. Clamping on the bolt head with
the vice grips, with the axle firmly ocked in place will allow the bolt to
turn.
I think that the heat sort of "crushes" the rust and crud between the
threads, and the vice grips, by conduction, draws the heat away and allow
the bolt to contract again.

I think thats the physics, all I know is that it works  :)

Pissed off with 2 bolts (and running out of propane) I used my grinder I use
when welding, to grind the head off, removed the axel and then replaced the
bolts with good ones  :)

Having fun yet?

Julie Macfarlane
1981 MKI 2L 16v w 2Y