you might be... Now: Sales

I think being a Scirocco (or any old school VW) owner would definitely
help you sell modern VWs.  One of the big selling points of new VWs is
the 12 year rust/corrosion warrantee.  As part of your salespitch you
could swing by your car on the way to looking at the new one and point
out "Look at my 26 year old Volkswagen, the rust proofing is SO good
that with a bit of care it's stood the test of time."   Rust is a BIG
issue here in the Great White North, so proving VWs can weather the
weather with an example, right then and there, could keep the potential
buyer from going across the street and buying a GM...  (right after you
show them one of the mechanics' 5 year old Cavalier that is rusting
quite nicely... :)

I've had a LOT of experience being "the negotiator" for friends and
family when they buy a new car.  I LOVE to haggle, and do tons of
legwork (usually call or hit EVERY dealer within an hour drive) to get
the best deal.  By far, the people who are truly interested in the make
they're selling are better at their jobs, and usually know the history
of the company they're working for.  Case in point, the salesman that
sold my mother her Toyota Echo drove an 80's Celica to work.  You could
clearly detect his enthusiasm for Toyotas in general, and he REALLY
worked hard to convince a VW nut (me) that Toyotas are a good car, then
AND now.  Even though I ended up getting the same price closer to home,
we bought the car from him.  I subsequently steered more people his way.

On the other end of the spectrum I once helped a friend lease a Neon (I
know, I know, friends don't let friends drive Neons :D), and the
salesman didn't even know what size engine was under the hood.  Think he
was an enthusiast?  Think we leased from him?  Think he still worked
there a week later when I made a final round of calls?

Like Matt mentioned, instilling confidence in the buyer is also more
than just knowing the product on the floor.  A good salesman will JUMP
at any mention of a past model - with a similar warm/fuzzy experience -
connecting the buyer to himself, or conversely explaining how a
particular bad trait had been corrected in subsequent models...  An
educated/enthusiast salesperson is more of an asset to a dealership than
someone who isn't...

Mark - who many people have mentioned would be a GREAT VW salesman... :D
75
77
80 S
81
81 S  2.0 ABA/JH/4K

I'm
> selling, know what I'm talking about, and even have experience with it
in
> the past, maybe just to warn them of shortcomings, or why one thing's
> better
> than another. To me, that's more than just selling the product. That's
> selling repeat business, because if someone knows you've got a bit of
an
> inside track, they'll send others to you, and they'll come back
themselves.
> I had a lot of repeat customers, and a lot of people that recommended
me.
> One thing I will note about the previous models thing, for example...
> there
> might be or might have been a feature that was either better or worse
on a
> previous model of a computer I would sell, and then I'd tell my
customer
> about it to get them hyped for the "latest model", or I would tell
them
> where they COULD get the feature, back it up with a few extra
incentives,
> and see if they'd bite. If they did, whoo. If they didn't, oh well.
>
> So in my own opinion, I feel it's good to be highly informed of the
> products, familar with them, and so on. 'S too bad my job thought I
didn't
> do anything around there, or I'd still be there. ^.~
>
> If I knew my salesman was an enthusiast for the brand they were
selling, I
> would personally be more apt to get the car from 'em, because that
fact in
> itself is a vote of confidence. If they didn't like the cars, why sell
'em?
> Personally, I DO wanna sell 'em, one of these days. Though I can see
where
> yer comin' from as well. As an enthusiast, you know what you want, and
> more
> or less, you wouldn't need the help of a saleman who's also an
enthusiast,
> because enthusiasts have their own opinions about cars. ^.^ The
salesman,
> in
> some cases, is better-suited to be the middleman.
>
> There's probably lots more to say about this that I'm not thinking
about,
> but hey...
>
> [/babble]
>
> ~Matt