Looking for a Class I Hitch, need to plan Hauling with aScirocco...

Patrick Bureau wrote:

> alright you rocco-heads with trailer hitches on your
> cars, I need to know the makes of your hitches (I am
> looking for a class "hidden" type, so I can work my
> body kit "hideway plate" for when I am not hauling the
> trailer behind it (yes the other half rocco I have)
>
> I have looked one the web with little, actually no
> success of finding information about class I hitch
> setup on a scirocco.
>
> help me out folks...
>
> =====
> ATS - Patrick Bureau - '85 3A/JH 2L 102.5 WHP Scirocco.
> '86 8v White, '82 1.7L Carbed,  '78 Gti 8v and  '81 S Project.
> Email: ats@longcoeur.com - Web: http://ats.longcoeur.com/
> See what I am selling today on ebay: HTTP://tinyurl.com/22e5b

I suppose you'll be finding Class 1 hitches but may be hidden as Rabbit
(Golf 1) choices.

I like the make it yourself plan but I don't have any welding equipment
(other than a lot of car batteries) 8]) And I haven't welded since High
School. <ahem>

My thoughts on commercial products are:

- I don;t like the way they bolt to the bumper. Besides violating it's
integrity it makes it rigid. I have pistons on my bumper for a reason.

- I thought to make one like this: half circle flat iron bolts to spare
tire well, one each angle iron support runs to the rear axle mount
points. The other end supports the hitch right behind or near the ball
mount.

- Some folks have installed larger than Class One, but you need to find
someone who will install it. I don't think the local shop will want to
be involved in liability issues.

- One thing about commercial Class 1s is the fixed ball, I would prefer
the removable found in the beefier classes. (Well, a new look around
finds Class 1 w/ receivers. So there.)

TBerk