Roccin' the Gorge

A few hours ago I just got back from an Easter "day trip" to my parents'
new place near White Salmon, Washington.  Folks, I gotta tell ya, the
drive on SR-14 (Lewis & Clark National Scenic Highway) down the
Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge is *absolutely incredible*.
I love making this drive each and every time I go (once every month or
so) though usually its in fiancee's '95 4Runner SR5.  She was working
this Easter, so on my own in the Scirocco I went. Windy, twisty highway,
with some good staightaways, well-signed and striped, all on *nice*
pavement. (Dad retired a few years ago from the Washington State DOT,
and he was QC for a lot of these highways outside of town, so it better
be good, huh?)

Then there's the scenery; Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams, Cape HornViewpoint,
Beacon Rock (Beacon Roc, huh huh), Bonneville Dam, Wind Mountain, and of
course the mighty Columbia.  When there aren't spectacular views, most
of the highway is well-forested, which gives a great sense of corridor
driving.  This is why we drive Sciroccos! Popular drive for a lot of
motorcyclists, too.

I like also driving back home in the middle of the night  - way less
traffic - and I get to put my euro hi-beams to excellent use.  Watch for
deer, though, they don't come with sidemarkers....

So with that, I now propose a summer drive for .org listers in the PNW.
I'll host a drive through  the Gorge, (since I'll be making regular
trips anyway), and this may be an option for those of us out on the West
Coast during Cincy weekend who just can't go _that_ far.  Anyway, food
for thought.  I will post more details as summer approaches.

some links:
http://www.crgva.org/
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/biz/csd/images/pdf/JilayneJordan.pdf
ttp://www.wsdot.wa.gov/planning/wtp/Plan/Pg107-Ch3-RTC.pdf