  From: stetson
  To: scirocco list
  Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 7:47 AM
  Subject: My 1st Dyno

  I don't know if folk put a lot of stock in this type of test or not. I
  1st heard about from Patrick posting his on the 'tex last summer.

  But we have a guy from a town near by that is well respected locally and
  has built a propane injected Jetta TDI that has captured quite a bit of
  attention from TDI enthusiasts (a best of 65 mpg) and is quite the little
  screamer.
  He owns a performance shop and hosted our local aquafriends (which totaled
  5 people) for a dyno night on his water brake chassis dyno.

  I got 2 runs for $40. A 3rd gear and a 2nd gear run that went like this:

  3rd 83.93(torque) 87.88(HP) @ 5500RPM

  2nd 78.86 86.21   @ 5750

  Which I thought was rather dissappointing in reguards to the 90hp it's
  supposed to have stock until one of the guys (I think it was the shops
  owner) said that might be engine dyno vs. the chassis dyno.

  Anybody know which it is for the stock spec?

  He let me do 2 runs because the 1st one (3rd gear) was kind of sawtoothed
  a bit, and so said "It's already strapped down, it's here.....go for it!".

  I'll get some decent .jpg pieces to post on a page after I get them
  scanned, but they seem fairly flat w/ torque steadily decreasing while HP
  climbs.

  One other guy got dyno'ed w/ a 16v Jetta that was pulling in the 120's HP
  and seemed happy w/ that, but then found the nasty news that one of his
  BBS rims had a crack in the dish.

  But it was a good night! Some of the mysteries of nitrous and turobs and
  all sorts of arcane lore came to cognative residency.

  The shop we had it in was housing a Yamha 650 Bonneville, 2 KTM dirt biks
  @ 250 & 450 respectively, a Yamaha VR(?)900, and had TOYS!!!

  It was humbling to say the least when compared to my stable.

  I can do better w/ my minor mods if I fix the pedal bump so I can actually
  engage the WOT switch.

  we'll see how it goes,

  Tim

  I have a map of the United States.  It's actual size.  I spent last summer
  folding it.  People ask me where I live, and I say, "E6".
  -- Steven Wright