Legal options on gas tank recall

well heres the basic procedure:
- empty tank (driving???)
- remove rear seat bottom
- remove fuel sender cover plate (3 phillips)
- remove (and label) fuel supply and return.
- jack up rear, secure with jackstands
- remove rear wheels
- remove rear axle beam bolts (2 on each side - 17 mm)
- drop axle onto jack stand (it will pivot on shock bolts - be sure to stip
it short of putting undue stress on the brake lines)
- disconnect rear brake lines at the axle beam (umm, 8/9/10mm open-end or
line wrench)
- disconnect and unroute e-brake cables (can be done by hand)
- remove lower shock bolts (17/19mm)
- drop and remove rear axle beam
- remove fuel tank filler line from tank (hose clamp)
- remove exhaust hangers and allow exhaust to drop at the rear (clearance
for tank)
- remove tank bolts (6 or 8)
- drop tank (some later tanks have an extra emmisions vacuum fitting that
you cant get to until the tank is on the ground)
- transfer the pieces-parts like the transfer pump / fuel level sender
assembly to the new tank as well as the fuel reservoir (if installed - it
clamps to the side of the tank, sometimes its easier to just unclamp it in
place and let the lines holt it to the car)
- reverse procedure from this point forward to get everything back in place

note: BE SURE the supply/return lines ride in the opening that is made for
them in the body. if they are not free and get pinched between the tank and
body while bolting the new one in place, weird things will happen to your
fuel system.

hth
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger Scirocco GTO 2.0 16v (daily driver, 200k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX (30% complete, rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (rocco #8)
90 Passat GL 16V (the wifes new daily, 200k)