whats the best way to clean injectors?

I'm fairly positive that my wifes cabby is having some injector issues as
we've checked just about everything else (timing, plugs, coil, wires).  The
current thinking now is that it's an injector thats barely spraying as there
seems to be a miss at idle that stays all the way through the rpm range.
We've had to richen the piss outta the mixture in order to keep the car
running and it won't push over 80mph in 5th.  The car reaches 4k rpm and
won't go any further.  So all we can figure is that it's a fuel problem at
this point.  I have a spare set of injectors, but they have been sitting for
8 months and I figure it might be a good idea to clean them.

Now I know that they can not be back flowed to clean so I was thinking of
letting them soak in injector cleaner for a few hours.  I have new O-rings
to put on them as well.  I don't have what would be needed to setup a
pressure cleaning system for them so will the soaking methood work or is
there another way that I haven't thought of that will do the job?

Thanks,
William Snyder

88' Scirocco 16v
89' Cabriolet 8v