Catalytic converter fun, 16v

Aren't there brackets so you can bolt on and off a test pipe/cat? Seems fairly easy to me. Also, though my logic has been known to be 'strange', it seems like if you put some monster, amazing flowing cat in there, it would kind of defeat the purpose of having a cat all together. Or maybe it'll filter out the same amount of bad stuff and I'm just confused. Are you sure the butt dyno isn't just remembering incorrectly? Good luck either way.

Dan

jester@westfailure.net wrote:
Hey all,

You may recall my mile long post about emissions & my car not passing. I
did everything I could think of and no improvement. Took it to the local
porsche expert shop (one of the best places to find people that know
jetronic & can function without and OBD report.)

anyway, he determined the only thing keeping me from passing was lack of a
catalaytic convertor. Given that I had replaced or tested everything else,
that isn't so surprising.

the bad part: It drives like somebody put a potato up the tailpipe. My
last 16v had the stock cat and didn't feel like this so I guess the cat I
bought from http://www.discountconverter.com is undersized compared to
stock, or the crimp bends in the downpipe choke it. Fortunately it has a
manufacturing defect that causes an unsafe condition, so maybe I can
return it (heat shield pointing the wrong way, bare cat facing down!!!)

So, I guess I could swap the TT race downpipe in every couple of years,
but a) i'm lazy and b) that is a PITA.

SO, i'm thinking of getting a dead TT cat downpipe and welding on a high
flow cat, like something from Dynomax or ??? I figure If I can stuff a big
enough cat in there it will flow more CFM than the exhust system can & no
restriction then :) at least less than this thing. On the bright side my
1.8 now has lowe end torque, but I don't like losing the high end at all.

Anyway, I was wondering if someone that bought the new a1 16v header from
TT could look at the cat and post the model numbers or manufacturer or
whtever you can see that might help me find a generic one cheaper taht I
can weld on myself.

I'm betting that the 8hp from that header is to a large degree
attributable to the bigger than stock cat and am hoping to capitalize on
that in a way that won't make me spend the big jack for the header.

take care,

Jester

P.S. Since I'm on digest a "reply to all" would be most helpful.