B3 Passat Auto Tranny prevents starting

--- "Leach, Michael" <michael.leach@lmco.com> wrote:
> [Exit lurker mode]
>
> About half the time my car will not start because the
> stupid tranny does not
> think it is in Park or Neutral and I have to move it
> around until it
> smartens up.  My fear is that this will become worse over
> time.

There is a way to override this - it's a must when doing
the 5-spd conversion.  Now if I can just dig up the
paperwork on what two wires to jumper together....   not
gonna happen tonight, damn internet connection is giving me
fits.

As for your starting / running problem, you may well have a
bad O2 sensor, or the heating element in the O2 sensor is
bad.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 S, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos, 90 Passat Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
For Sale: '80 Scirocco S, '81 Scirocco, '82 Scirocco.
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong."