[tech]020 5th gear advice

Personal: 2 kids now, both are boys & fine with a 3rd
on the way!  Its insane!!!!!!
Business: I've got a friend's 92 jetta in the garage
with a destroyed 5th gear that has stripped itself off
the shaft and is just there rattling making
interesting noises when the clutch isn't in.  I know
there's some metal in the transmission now thanks to
this but I was wondering if anybody has successfully
replaced a bad gear like this before without the
transmission still self destructing soon after.  I'm
also wondering if its necessary to remove the
transmission and sit it vertically on the bell housing
in order to get 5th out.  I've already got the gear
exposed by taking the transmission end cap off and I'm
hoping for an easy fix..... but i know I'm still
worried about those little metal shavings.  Thanks for
any advice!

=====
Dan May - Greensboro NC
1997 Tacoma 4x4 SR5