Missing the Point (was: Any drawback to having a hydro headonaJH?)

> Oh oh...  I have this same setup - JH head on an ABA bottom end (94 ABA
> w/squirters) with the hydro oil pump from an RD 86 GTI engine.  When I did
> all my research for this particular combo this was the recommended
setup...

> How much pressure is too much?  I haven't actually measured it, but now
that
> you bring this up I definately should.  I've been running 20w50 in it...

Well, when the engine is cold (just started even on a summer day) the
pressure will go over 100 psi if RPM is over 3000 using 5W-30 oil.
It's typically about 80 psi at 4000 RPM on the highway with the engine at
operating temperature.
Next time I do another track day I'll probably go to 20-50 and just let it
warm up at idle cause the oil gets so hot with the constant full throttle
and high revs the pressure drops to 45psi max! Too low to be thrashing the
engine.

> Does your ABA bottom end have the piston oil squirters?  I would think
that
> the blocks with the squirters would operate at a lower oil pressure than
the
> later ones, with the same oil pump.

Yeah, it has the squirters.