octane baby!

Yep, that's what I was going to say!

And even if you had 11.5:1 compression, higher octane gas doesn't do
anything for you unless you advance the ignition timing to take advantage
of its antiknock properties.

So in summary: if your engine is not knocking now, and doesn't knock under
load when you advance the timing, you don't need expensive gas.

-Toby