From: Dan Smith <sad_rocc@yahoo.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 6:27 PM
Subject: octane baby!

> Yeah, a corny play on a song title, but I couldn't resist. Anyways, CO has
octane ratings at the pump ranging from 85 to 94. With gas prices ranging
from $1.77 to 1.99 respectively, I want to see if I can settle this hot
debate among my housemates. Does higher octane gas equal better gas mileage?
And enough of a better mileage to make it cost effective? This would be for
my relatively stock 84 8v, which doesn't deserve high octane gas if it
doesn't make a difference mileage-wise. When responding, please try to keep
the formula equations to a minimum as high school chem was a long time ago
and I just squeeked by.