Removing those plastic rings around the seat headrest posts?

these are the plastic rings on top of the back-support at the base of the headrest posts (sometimes you just can't get enough into those Subject lines!  :)

How the hell do you remove these without absolutely destroying them? I've actually almost destroyed one and still got nowhere!

Didn't get to spend too much time investgating though as I had to hop into the shower for our dinner plans!

Thanks and hope you all had a great weekend!

JT