What size is the damn tool? was Re: cv joints

> I'll jump on the "disagreeing with Dave" bandwagon that's been popular
> lately... :-)
> Sure it is!  3 squares (4 points each) = 12 points = "triple square"

Your probably right here, I realize now that the angles would be different
so the points of a triple square would be 90 deg where the points of a
double hex would be wider and wouldn't grip as well.  But, hey, thanks for
jumping onto the bandwagon!  We don't have enough people who disagree with
me!!!  :)

> > It's two 6mm
> > allens offset.
> > The 6mm allen fits snuggly into the 12pt "triple square" bolts so if it
is
> > an 8mm, then there must be a different type of measurement than
> > the allens.
>

> I think this is the case...
>

> > Like I said, unless the industry uses something else to measure the
triple
> > squares I will guarantee you that the axle bolts are 6mm.
>

> They ARE 8mm triple square bolts.  When I've tried fitting a 6mm allen in
> the inner cv bolts they didn't fit as tight as an 8mm triple square - a
> recipe for stripped bolts...

No, Mark, they aren't.  The tool may be called an 8mm but the size is 6mm.
Try the 12pt 6mm socket test!  I think the tool makers did this on purpose
to cause problems!!

Dave