2nd gear clunking

Last friday I lost my clutch cable and drove home 38 miles, ten in town
traffic...starting it in 2nd gear and speed shifting. I got it home fine but
after installing the new cable, 2nd gear clunked into place with a mild
grind. I figured I had thrown the linkage off. So after fiddleing with it
for 3 hours and finally having all gears where they belong again....it STILL
clunks. Only at idle speed will it go in quietly, but who grabs 2nd at that
low rpm...nobody. And it doesn't matter if it's an up or down shift. Have I
broken something inside the tranny? tell me NO...agh!!!! help!!

Fast, faster, fastest: Upgrade to Cable or DSL today!
https://broadband.msn.com