cv joints

I think your right. There are two issues, the balljoint and general
cvjoint wear.

But, more to the point, what kind of stress causes a
ball-joint failure? Or is that to be expected out of wear and tear?

There is only just over 100k on this car, and I've driven the last 30k of
it (no wheel to foreign object road incidents) btw.

Never saw this happen before on any other car.

-ed

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, John C. Worden wrote:

> Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:09:55 -0400
> From: John C. Worden <scirocco@powerlink.net>
> To: E.Noval <aion@sdf.lonestar.org>
> Cc: Scirocco-L@scirocco.org
> Subject: Re: cv joints
>
> Sounds like the ball joint broke.  Which when it allowed the wheel to lay
> at the
> 45 degree angle would pull on of the CV joints away from the halfshaft as
> there are only circlips holding them on; as in the CV joint axles don't
> hold the
> front end on and can't.
>
> John
>

> At 02:16 AM 9/6/03 +0000, E.Noval wrote:
>

> >Let me just put it this way... the wheel was laying at a 45 degree angle.
> >
> >Since I broke down on the Triborough bridge in NYC (yeah you can
> >imagine the nightmare) the car had to be towed away on the spot by the
> >bridge authorities.
> >
> >The NYC car yard it went to wrote it off as a broken axle.
> >
> >I never did get to examine the car before it was repaired as I was
> >on the way to the airport you see, and by time I got back it was repaired
> >and back in my yard.
> >
> >I wish I had a chance to understand exactly what happened, and how at that
> >time. Because I still think If I was going normal speed .. 65-70 that
> >would have been the end of both me and the car.
> >
> >-ed

         ^
        * *
       *   *